Full Clinical Instructor Development Schedule
- March 28, 2023 - Challenging Conversations
- April 25, 2023 - Work Smarter, Not Harder: Incorporating Students into Your Daily Routine
- May 16, 2023 - Rise Above: Taking Clinical Experiences to the Next Level
- June 8, 2023 - The Two-Way Feedback Street: Experiences in Giving and Receiving
- July 20, 2023 - Breaking Barriers: Creative Solutions in Clinical Education
A clinical instructor is an experienced practitioner who provides supervision during clinical practice and facilitates the application of theory to practice for students and staff learners. They assist the learner by setting expectations, providing effective feedback about their performance, and providing appropriate opportunities to meet their learning objectives.
Des Moines University is supportive of healthcare providers who choose to actively participate in the education of our students by offering excellent clinical training opportunities. Clinical instructors not only transmit skills but are mentors who convey the core values important to Des Moines University: accountability, collaboration, honesty, inclusiveness, and wellness.
Clinical instructors do what no textbook or classroom can accomplish. As a result, the students benefit from the community-based experience, while preceptors benefit from integrating new ideas and techniques into their practices currently taught in academic health sciences institutions. Join us for a series of educational opportunities which provide precepting pearls to aid in shaping the next generation of clinicians.
This session will highlight successful strategies for having challenging conversations with students throughout their clinical experience. The presenter will also discuss the importance of honest and accurate assessment of student performance.
- Program and student communication
- Assessing student knowledge
- Student and preceptor evaluation
- Discuss effective communication strategies.
- Explore successful practices in student assessment.
Katie Sorensen, MSPAS, PA-C has practiced in surgery at St. Luke’s in Duluth, MN since 2010. Sorensen has been completely dedicated to teaching and mentoring students over the past 10 years and has a student by her side about 90% of the time. Ms. Sorensen is also a guest lecturer at the St. Scholastica PA program and a suturing instructor for the University of Minnesota medical school.
- Award: 2021 PAEA Preceptor of the Year
- Education: DMU MSPAS - 2010
- University of Wisconsin - 2008
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this activity for a maximum of 0.75 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this activity for a maximum of 0.75 continuing education contact hours.
- Other healthcare providers: This live activity is designated for 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No ineligible company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals, medical procedures, and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with ineligible companies to disclose.
- Laura Delaney, MPAS, PA-C - Planning Committee Member
- Kim Fairley - Coordinator and Planning Committee Member
- Katie Sorensen, MSPAS, PA-C - Speaker
- Holland Taylor, MSPAS, PA-C - Activity Director and Planning Committee Member
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education. It is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 0.75 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 0.75 AOA Category 2A
- 0.75 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 0.75 CPME