Professional Burnout and Resiliency Programming: Awareness. Care. Management.
If you have questions, please contact Autumn McGill at 515-421-4773 or via email.
While you may not be able to wave a magic wand and create a perfect workplace, you can make decisions that enable you to more successfully traverse the real-world organization that is your workplace today. This educational programming, presented by the Iowa Medical Society in conjunction with Meyvn Group, will enable you to recognize the warning signs of burnout and identify strategies to prevent it; make changes to mitigate burnout; and explore simple, evidence-based solutions to enhance your joy in practicing medicine and reduce stress.
Recognize warning signs.
Identify changes to mitigate burnout.
Explore simple, evidence-based solutions.
Discuss how to lead without leading to burnout.
Build a resilient organization.
Rediscover the joy of practicing medicine.
Return to your primary purpose: Caring for patients.
Professional Practice Gap
The 2015 Iowa Medical Society Survey found that nearly 80 percent of all Iowa physicians were suffering some degree of burnout. The 2018 IMS Survey found that this number has dropped to 68 percent, however, there is still much work that needs to be done in this area to ensure that Iowa patients receive high quality care, and that we have a physician workforce that is able to meet the needs of Iowa patients.
Many healthcare professionals are unable to recognize the signs and symptoms of burnout within themselves and their peers. This activity is design to increase learner competency in identifying burnout, but also in making positive changes to their environment to allow them to continue their career.
- Recognize warning signs of burnout.
- Identify changes to mitigate burnout.
- Explore evidence-based solutions to burnout.
- Build a resilient organization.
Tammy Rogers is best known for helping leaders experience “Aha” moments in order to develop new ways of thinking, new attitudes and new behaviors that transfer to the real world. Tammy is a certified coach. She’s been instrumental in nine business start-ups. She’s held Vice President titles in both Human Resources and Operations – and has had the opportunity to lead more than 200 employees in remote offices from Boston to Los Angeles and Minneapolis to Atlanta. Tammy has written more than 50 internationally distributed training programs. She has worked with best-selling authors like James Autry and Bob Nelson. And she has partnered with hundreds of companies – both large and small – to help them improve results through the building of people, processes and procedures.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the planning committee members and speaker indicated they have no financial relationships with commercial interests to disclose.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and the Iowa Medical Society. DMU is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for a maximum of 2.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should only claim credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 2.0 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Other Healthcare Professionals: This live activity is designated for a maximum of 2.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 2.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 2.00 AOA Category 2A
- 2.00 CE Contact Hour(s)