Identifying Your Bias: We All Have Them - Navigating New Environments: Identify + Understand
Finding yourself in new surroundings is a normal part of life. And as future healthcare providers, you’ll certainly find yourself in new environments, maybe even you’re in one now... You’re also likely to find yourself connecting with people with a wide range of life experiences, cultural backgrounds, and identities.
Join us for a 3-part series, where we’ll unpack these situations and develop our skills together. Learn more about session 2 on November 27 and session 3 on December 5. Lunch will be provided for 25 individuals. Students from all DMU programs are invited to attend.
For session 1, we’ve invited an expert in cultural awareness and implicit bias training, Dr. Shanna Howell, to share techniques on how to identify one’s own implicit bias and how to mitigate its effect on our interactions. Our goal is that you’ll leave with a greater understanding of yourself and how you interact with others.
- Define implicit bias.
- Identify their own implicit biases.
- List and describe ways to mitigate the effects of implicit bias.
Shanna Howell, PhD
Director of Student Success, Grand View University
Adjunct Instructor, Drake University
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, Dr. Howell indicated she has no financial relationships with commercial interest companies to disclose.
Des Moines University is located on a 22-acre campus in the heart of Des Moines, Iowa. Just west of downtown on Grand Avenue, the University is located in one of Des Moines' most prestigious neighborhoods. The campus is in a historic neighborhood filled with tree-lined streets and gracious older homes and businesses. Its central location makes it easy to access the rest of the city and outlying communities. The campus is close to the Des Moines International Airport, located on the bus line and just blocks from local shopping and downtown Des Moines.
Continuing Education Credit
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this activity for a maximum of 1.0 continuing education contact hours.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 1-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Other Healthcare Professionals: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Everyone in a position to control the content of this educational activity will disclose to the CME provider and to attendees all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. They will also disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas. The information provided at this CME activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 1A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 CPME