A-Z Guide to Simplify and Optimize Dementia Care
The mission of the Alzheimer’s Association is to eliminate Alzheimer’s disease through the advancement of research, to provide and enhance care and support for all affected, and to reduce the risk of dementia through the promotion of brain health.
Once you're logged in, the payment options and "ADD TO CART" button can be found at the bottom of this webpage.
The Healthcare Education Project will target the primary care practitioner population for education on diagnosis and referral of dementia patients. With this project, the Alzheimer’s Association plans on providing education to 150 primary care practitioners throughout Iowa. Primary care practitioners will include family physicians, physician assistants, and advanced registered nurse practitioners. According to America’s Health Rankings, 94.2% of older adults in Iowa report having a dedicated health care provider. By educating these providers, Iowans experiencing cognitive impairment will benefit from early diagnosis and appropriate services and support.
The purpose of this CME activity is to educate physicians on the diagnosis and treatment of dementia. This CME activity is also designed as a strategy to increase healthcare provider referrals to the Alzheimer’s Association.
Special thank you to the Pedretti Charitable Foundation and the Iowa Department on Aging for providing funding.
- Effectively diagnose persons with dementia.
- Proficiently communicate the Alzheimer's diagnosis with patients and the patients’ families.
- Utilize resources available for patients with dementia.
- Recognize the Alzheimer’s Association's role in supporting both the person with dementia and their family.
|7:30 am||Registration and Breakfast|
|8 am||A to Z Guide to Simplify and Optimize Dementia Care|
Terry Barclay, PhD, LP
|9:45 am||Role Play: Providing Resources to Person with Dementia and Caregivers|
|11:30 am||Debrief and Resources|
Terry Barclay, PhD, LP
Clinical Director, HealthPartners Neuropsychology, Neurosciences Division, Center for Memory and Aging
- PhD, clinical psychology, Michigan State University
- Residency in geropsychology, West Los Angeles VA Medical Center
- Fellowship in neuropsychology, David Geffen School of Medicine at the University of California, Los Angeles
Relevant to the content of this CME activity, Dr. Barclay indicated he is on the speaker's bureau for the Ely Lily Foundation - "Community Conversations" about Dementia Care.
Des Moines University Continuing Medical Education
- All cancellations must be received in writing at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A nonrefundable administrative fee of $10 will be charged for all cancellations.
- No refunds will be given three (3) business days prior to the activity start date.
- Cancelled registrations can be transferred to another individual for the same activity.
- Individuals who fail to attend the activity (no-shows) will not receive any refund. Forfeited fees may not be applied to any other activity.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Continuing Education Credit
- Physicians: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS) through the joint providership of Des Moines University (DMU) and the Alzheimer's Association. DMU is accredited by IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for a maximum of 4.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 4.8 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other healthcare providers: This live activity is designated for 4.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
Everyone in a position to control the content of this educational activity will disclose to the CME provider and to attendees all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. They will also disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content for this activity and the selection of speakers are responsibilities of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas.
The information provided at this CME activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 4.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 4.00 AOA Category 2A
- 4.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 4.80 IBON