Opioid Management: A Practical Approach to a National Crisis
Mary Greeley Medical Center Grand Rounds is a multi-disciplinary clinical activity that maintains, develops, or increases the knowledge, skills, professional performance, and relationships a physician uses to provide services for patients, the public, or the profession.
Physicians, Advance Practice Providers, Nurses, Medical students (rotating), Non-medical students (rotating), and healthcare administrators.
This activity describes the regulatory guidance, indications, contraindications, best practice in usage of prescribing and managing opioids and highlights the role of the interprofessional team in the management of their patients.
- Demonstrate an understanding of how to access and utilize CDC recommendations for clinicians providing pain care, including those prescribing opioids.
- Outline the history of the opioid crisis in the United States.
- Define measures to individualize pain management for a specific patient’s pain type and anticipated duration.
- Identify common signs of opioid use disorder, OUD.
Dennis J. Boyle , MD
Emeritus professor of Medicine CU
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
No ineligible company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals, medical procedures, and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with ineligible companies to disclose.
- Dennis J. Boyle , MD - Speaker
- Eric Zacharias, MD - Planner
- Dennis Boyle, MD - Planner
- Susan Sgambati, MD - Planner
- Jeff Varnell, MD - Planner
- No Mary Greeley Medical Center CME Committee member who planned this activity has any financial relationship to disclose relating to the content.
Gifts to the Mary Greeley Medical Center Foundation from Mary Greeley Medical Center, McFarland Clinic, and Availa Bank support this program. The content and selection of speaker(s) is the responsibility of the Mary Greeley Medical Center for Continuing Medical Education Committee and not the sponsors of this program.
The information provided in this activity is for continuing education purposes only. It is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AOA Category 2A