My Partner Made Me Come Here: Adult Male with Chronic Fecal Incontinence
DMU faculty, staff, students, residents, and the medical community.
- Review presenting signs, symptomology, medical office assessment and treatment of fecal incontinence.
- Name related anatomy of defecation.
- Describe the goals of physical therapy for the patient with fecal incontinence.
Donald Matz, PhD
Chair and professor – Anatomy and Professor – Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, Des Moines University
Roberta Baldus, DHEd, PA-C
Assistant professor – Master of Science in Physician Assistant Studies, Des Moines University
Elizabeth Trausch, DPT
Physical therapist – Physical Therapy Clinic, Des Moines University
The speakers have indicated no relevant financial relationships to disclose relevant to the content of this CME activity.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
- National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases: Fecal Incontinence
- Hull, T., Giese, C., Wexner, S. D., Mellgren, A., Devroede, G., Madoff, R. D., ... & SNS Study Group. (2013). Long-term durability of sacral nerve stimulation therapy for chronic fecal incontinence. Diseases of the Colon & Rectum, 56(2), 234-245.
- Lambo, A. Patient Information: Fecal Incontinence (Beyond the Basics)
- Wedron, B. Bowel Incontinence (Fecal Incontinence)
Continuing Education Credit
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) and approves this activity for 1.0 hour of Category 1-A CME credit(s).
- Nurse: Des Moines University Continuing Medical Education is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.2 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
- 1.00 AOA Category 1A
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.20 IBON
- 1.00 CE Contact Hours