Competency-Based Medical Education Workshop
This workshop will focus on use of competency-based education as a means for optimizing physician preparation. By attending this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Better understand the basic tenets of Competency-Based Medical Education (CBME).
- Identify benefits and challenges to CBME development and assessment.
- Recognize the value of a “milestones” framework for defining educational outcomes.
- Access a toolkit of instructional design tips to guide course planning and delivery.
- Engage in more meaningful and manageable course planning and assessment.
Come and explore the characteristics of competency-based medical education (CBME) and how it compares with more traditional medical school approaches. Examples of CBME implementation will be reviewed along with a discussion of implications for course planning, instructional delivery and assessment.
Leslie Wimsatt, PhD
Associate Dean for Academic Assessment, Quality and Development, Academic Affairs, Des Moines University
Continuing Education Credit
- DO: Des Moines University is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) and approves this activity for 1.0 hour of Category 1-A CME credit(s).
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians.false DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Other health professionals: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
- 1.00 AOA Category 1A
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 CE Contact Hours