Primary Care for the Transgender Adult
Two attendance options:
Full TransHealth Series Schedule
- March 22, 2023 - Introduction to Trans Health
- March 23, 2023 - Trans Primary and Geriatric Care
- March 27, 2023 - OB/GYN Care for Transgender Health
- March 29, 2023 - Introduction To Gender Affirming Care for Adolescents
- March 30, 2023 - Providing Mental Health Support for Transgender Patients
- April 5, 2023 - Transitioning in Medicine Panel
- April 6, 2023 - Providing Pelvic Floor Therapy for Trans Patients
DMU faculty, staff, students, residents, and the medical community.
Transgender individuals are a high-risk population for mental and physical health problems and are consistently and systemically underserved by the American medical system. Regular harassment and discrimination contribute to high rates of stress and—combined with adverse social, political, and economic risk factors—make transgender individuals significantly more likely to experience poor health outcomes. Structural, institutional, and individual barriers to access to care and a lack of cultural competency from many healthcare providers contribute to the disparities in health between transgender and cisgender populations.
The DMU TransHealth Series educates healthcare providers to identify and change the systemic barriers to care that cause transgender health inequities and improve knowledge about transgender-specific care.
- Appreciate how health disparities have arisen within the transgender community and how they impact health outcomes.
- Learn about activities to improve the patient experience.
- Impact the community's health through quality primary care of the transgender/nonbinary adult.
Angela Knoblauch, DO
Internist, UnityPoint Health
Dr. Angela Knoblauch completed her medical education at Des Moines University College of Osteopathic Medicine and received her undergraduate degree in Nursing from the University of Iowa. Her clinical interests are general internal medicine, LGBTQ health, geriatrics, and palliative care.
Dr. Knoblauch collaborates with her patients to decide health goals in a personalized, cost-effective, evidence-based framework. She has been part of the Des Moines community for over 25 years and is grateful for this opportunity to create new, long-lasting relationships. You can likely find her traveling or golfing when Dr. Knoblauch is not in the clinic!
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this activity for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 1-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this activity for a maximum of 1.0 continuing education contact hours.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other healthcare providers: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No ineligible company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals, medical procedures, and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with ineligible companies to disclose.
- Samantha Anderson - Planning Committee Member
- Shika Andhole - Planning Committee Member
- Elizabeth Baker, PhD, MPH, CPH - Planning Committee Member
- Alina Beltrami, MS - Planning Committee Member
- Madison Chen - Planning Committee Member
- Alicia Ernst - Planning Committee Member
- Vanessa Gray, MHA, CMP, CHCP - Planning Committee Member
- Anna Geiger - Planning Committee Member
- Angela Knoblauch, DO - Speaker
- Lindsay Mahaney - Planning Committee Member
- Katelyn Maliszewski - Planning Committee Member
- Kayla Matteo - Planning Committee Member
- Helena Mica - Activity Coordinator and Planning Committee Member
- Rianna Reimers - Planning Committee Member
- Claudia Xie - Planning Committee Member
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only. It is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 1A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 CPME
- 1.00 IBON
There is no cost to attend, and all interested individuals are invited to participate.
Two attendance options:
- Des Moines University - No registration is necessary to attend on-site.
- Online - Register through Zoom.