Spinal Motion Restriction and Special Considerations for Managing the Athlete: Collaboration of Care Among First Responders
The primary target audience is athletic trainers, emergency medical technicians, and first responders; however, all interested healthcare professionals are invited to attend.
- Discuss the current research and practices for selective spinal motion restriction.
- Apply the most appropriate WDM EMS protocols (A2, F4, F6, G46, G43, and A5) to manage various simulated patients presenting with sports-related injuries.
- Coordinate a simulated patient's response, care, and safe extrication with a team of varying expertise and specialized equipment.
- Discuss the procedures for obtaining consent to transport minor patients with parents on or off-site.
Lauren Mach, PT, DPT, ATC
Site Supervisor, Head Athletic Trainer and Physical Therapist, Physical Therapy Clinic in the RecPlex
Deputy Chief, Emergency Medical Services, The City of West Des Moines
Mia Storto, MS, LAT, ATC
Athletic Trainer, Physical Therapy Clinic in the RecPlex
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this activity for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other healthcare providers: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No ineligible company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals, medical procedures, and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). The determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with ineligible companies to disclose.
- Lauren Mach, PT, DPT, ATC - Activity Director and Instructor
- Mark McCulloch - Instructor
- Mia Storto, MS, LAT, ATC - Instructor
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education. It is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 2A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 IBON