From Madness to Methods 2.0: Formative Assessment Strategies
Looking for new ways to engage students in their learning? Interested in maximizing student achievement next semester? Look no further! The Center for Teaching and Learning (CTL) is hosting a formative assessment workshop. The session will use an interactive “card game,” adapted from a learning exercise developed by colleagues at the Medical College of Wisconsin. We will explore a number of formative assessment strategies and discuss best practices as we match strategies to learning objectives.
One of the purposes of this workshop is to identify formative assessment strategies that align to your student learning goals. Please come prepared to share at least one learning objective from your course.
- Explain the value of formative assessment in the teaching-learning process.
- Select a formative assessment strategy that aligns to their learning objective.
Michelle Rogers-Johnson, PhD
Assessment Specialist, Center for Teaching and Learning, Des Moines University
Relevant to the content of this CME activity, Dr. Rodgers indicated she has no financial relationships to disclose.
Des Moines University is located on a 22-acre campus in the heart of Des Moines, Iowa. Just west of downtown on Grand Avenue, the University is located in one of Des Moines’ most prestigious neighborhoods. The campus is in a historic neighborhood filled with tree-lined streets and gracious older homes and businesses. Its central location makes it easy to access the rest of the city and outlying communities. The campus is close to the Des Moines International Airport, located on the bus line and just blocks from local shopping and downtown Des Moines.
Continuing Education Credit
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this activity for a maximum of 1.0 continuing education contact hours.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 1-A credit and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Other Professionals: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 1A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 CPME