COVID-19 Panel Discussion
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this session will be held online only.
DMU faculty, staff, students, residents, and the medical community.
- Overview and pathogenesis of COVID-19
- Community spread with a focus on vulnerable groups
- New thoughts on oxygenation and ventilation
- A new take on thrombosis and anti-thrombotic measures
- Autopsy findings in COVID-19
- Describe the pathogenesis of coronavirus-19 (COVID-19).
- Summarize new understandings of lung damage from COVID-19.
- Discuss new advances in anticoagulation in the setting of COVID-19.
Teresa Aoki, MD
Associate Professor, Family and Internal Medicine, Des Moines University
Kevin Carnevale, MD
Academic Pathologist, Microbiology and Immunology, Des Moines University
Daniela Frankova, MD, PhD, FACP
Assistant Professor, Family and Internal Medicine, Des Moines University
Noreen O'Shea, DO, FAAFP
Assistant Professor, Behavioral Medicine, Medical Humanities and Bioethics, Des Moines University
Sarah Werning, PhD
Assistant Professor, Anatomy, Des Moines University
Sydney Stanley, DO'22
Des Moines University Osteopathic Medical Student and COVID-19 Volunteer
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 1-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this activity for a maximum of 1.0 continuing education contact hours.
- Other healthcare providers: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest company provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
The speaker(s) will disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director.
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have no conflict(s) with commercial interest companies to disclose:
- Teresa Aoki, MD, speaker
- Thomas Benzoni, DO, EM, AOBEM, FACEP, moderator and planning committee member
- Kevin Carnevale, MD, speaker
- Donald Matz, PhD, moderator and planning committee member
- Noreen O'Shea, DO, FAAFP, speaker
- Sydney Stanley, DO'22, speaker
- Sarah Werning, PhD, speaker
Relevant to the content of this educational activity, the following individual(s) have a conflict(s) with commercial interest companies to disclose:
- Daniela Frankova, MD, PhD, FACP, speaker, intends to discuss off-label use of a commercial product
The information provided at this activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 1A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 CPME
- 1.00 IBON