Treating the Obesity Epidemic
Two attendance options:
DMU faculty, staff, students, residents, and the medical community.
- Describe the obesity crisis in America.
- List three diseases associated with obesity.
- Define the role of medical weight management.
- Define the role of current medications for obesity.
- State the most common bariatric surgeries.
- List the risks of surgery.
- Cite the success rate of treating morbid obesity.
Todd Eibes, MD, FACS is one of the most experienced bariatric surgeons in the Midwest, having performed nearly 2,000 bariatric surgeries over the past 14 years. Eibes leads the team of medical experts at Iowa Weight Loss Specialists. Under Dr. Eibes's leadership, Iowa Weight Loss Specialists facilities has been named a Center of Excellence from the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program (MBSAQIP). Previous to his role at Iowa Weight Loss Specialists, Eibes started and directed a weight loss program with a hospital in the Des Moines area for over 7 years. He grew the program from 50 surgeries per year to nearly 500 surgeries annually. Full biography.
Alissa Kruger, ARNP, NP-C, received her bachelor’s degree from the University of Iowa and a Master of Science in Nursing from Briar Cliff University in Sioux City. Alissa's focus is on patients going through the Medical Weight Loss program at our West Des Moines office. Alissa works closely with each of her patients to help guide them through their weight loss journey. Full biography.
The speakers have no conflicts with commercial interests to disclose relevant to the content of this educational activity.
Des Moines University is located on a 22-acre campus in the heart of Des Moines, Iowa. Just west of downtown on Grand Avenue, the University is located in one of Des Moines' most prestigious neighborhoods. The campus is in a historic neighborhood filled with tree-lined streets and gracious older homes and businesses. Its central location makes it easy to access the rest of the city and outlying communities. The campus is close to the Des Moines International Airport, located on the bus line and just blocks from local shopping and downtown Des Moines.
Continuing Education Credit
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 2-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other healthcare providers: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
Everyone in a position to control the content of this educational activity will disclose to the CME provider and to attendees all relevant financial relationships with any commercial interest. They will also disclose if any pharmaceuticals or medical procedures and devices discussed are investigational or unapproved for use by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). Determination of educational content and the selection of speakers is the responsibility of the activity director. Firms providing financial support did not have input in these areas. The information provided at this CME activity is for continuing education purposes only and is not meant to substitute for the independent medical judgment of a healthcare provider relative to diagnostic and treatment options of a specific patient’s medical condition. The content of each presentation does not necessarily reflect the views of Des Moines University.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 2A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 IBON