Why SIM is Dangerous: When a Medical Student Develops Chest Pain
Two attendance options:
DMU faculty, staff, students, residents, and the medical community.
- Distinguish the important elements of a history and physical in a patient presenting with chest pain.
- Recognize EKG changes in patients with an atypical presentation of chest pain.
- Identify the embryology and anatomy of the heart as it pertains to chest pain symptoms.
- Refer patients for “cardio” physical therapy if indicated.
Des Moines University is located on a 22-acre campus in the heart of Des Moines, Iowa. Just west of downtown on Grand Avenue, the University is located in one of Des Moines’ most prestigious neighborhoods. The campus is in a historic neighborhood filled with tree-lined streets and gracious older homes and businesses. Its central location makes it easy to access the rest of the city and outlying communities. The campus is close to the Des Moines International Airport, located on the bus line and just blocks from local shopping and downtown Des Moines.
Thomas Benzoni, DO, EM, AOBEM, FACEP
Assistant Professor, Family Medicine, Des Moines University
Sarah Clayton, PhD
Assistant Professor, Physiology and Pharmacology, Des Moines University
Donald Matz, PhD
Chair and Professor, Anatomy, Des Moines University
Noreen O'Shea, DO, FAAFP
Assistant Professor, Behavioral Medicine, Medical Humanities and Bioethics, Des Moines University
Julie Ronnebaum, PT, DPT, PhD
Curriculum Coordinator and Assistant Professor, Doctor of Physical Therapy Program, Des Moines University
Sean Van Aken, DPM'19
Podiatry Student, Des Moines University
Continuing Education Credit
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 1-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other healthcare providers: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 AOA Category 1A
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)
- 1.00 IBON