The HIV Care Continuum: PrEP as Harm Reduction and Engaging Patients in Difficult Conversations
Two attendance options:
Open to all interested healthcare professionals and the public.
- Define PrEP.
- Identify who PrEP is for.
- Teach patients how to use PrEP.
- Recognize the effectiveness of PrEP.
Thomas Benzoni, DO, EM, AOBEM, FACEP
Assistant Professor, Family Medicine, Des Moines University
Joshua Tomashek, DO'20
Osteopathic Physician Student, Des Moines University
Mr. Tomashek has worked as an HIV Prevention Specialist, HIV Caregiver and Sexual Health Educator specializing in sexual health harm reduction interventions for high-need communities since 2012. As a community presenter and educator, he enjoys educating community members and professionals about harm reduction, Pre-Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) and LGBTQ healthcare.
Relevant to the content of this CME activity, the speakers indicated they have no financial relationships to disclose.
Des Moines University is located on a 22-acre campus in the heart of Des Moines, Iowa. Just west of downtown on Grand Avenue, the University is located in one of Des Moines’ most prestigious neighborhoods. The campus is in a historic neighborhood filled with tree-lined streets and gracious older homes and businesses. Its central location makes it easy to access the rest of the city and outlying communities. The campus is close to the Des Moines International Airport, located on the bus line and just blocks from local shopping and downtown Des Moines.
Continuing Education Credit
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 1.0 AOA Category 1-A credit and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- DPM: Des Moines University (DMU) is approved by the Council on Podiatric Medical Education as a provider of continuing education in podiatric medicine. DMU has approved this activity for a maximum of 1.0 continuing education contact hours.
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- Nurse: Des Moines University is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 1.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other Professionals: This live activity is designated for 1.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
- 1.00 AOA Category 1A
- 1.00 CPME
- 1.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 1.00 IBON
- 1.00 CE Contact Hour(s)