Medical Therapeutic Yoga
You must login or create an account before enrolling in this educational activity.
Once you're logged into your account, enroll in this course by clicking the payment "ADD TO CARD" button at the end of this page.
Yoga is embraced by Americans as a wellness activity, with practitioners increasing by 20 million from 2010 to 2016. The intersection of yoga and therapeutic rehabilitation is an easy one, as a holistic focus has long been an attribute of rehabilitation. DMU’s focus on health and wellness, and scarcity of continuing education in therapeutic yoga, make this topic appropriate for presentation at DMU. This course includes both an on-line and on-site component.
This online lecture/face-to-face lab course will consist of 6 units (hours) of online work and 8 hours of lab for a total of 14 hours. Online topics covered will include an introduction to yogic philosophy, the effects of yoga on health, the biopsychosocial-spiritual aspects of health and its use in therapeutic yoga, and the science behind pranayama (breathing) and meditation. The lab class will include practices of meditation, pranayama, yogic movement assessment, applied asana (yogic postures) and case studies. The course is open to all licensed heath care providers (MD, DO, PT, PTA, OT, OTA, RN, LPN, ATC etc).
Upon completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
- Describe yoga and yoga philosophy including yoga practice in the US and various types of yoga available
- List Patanjali’s eight limbs of yoga practice
- Explore the science behind the use of yoga to assist with medical problems
- Integrate the biopsychosocial-spiritual health care model into therapeutic practice.
- Explain the physiological mechanism behind breathing techniques.
- Explain the physiological mechanisms with the use of meditation.
- Perform different pranayama (breath) practices.
- Perform meditation to use in therapeutic practice.
- Perform a yogic functional movement assessment to determine areas of weakness, limitation, or pathology.
- Use yoga asana and modified asana for therapeutic benefits.
Attendees are requested to complete a series of modules prior to the workshop. 6.0 CE credits will be available for the pre-workshop modules. 8.0 CE credits will be available for the on-site workshop.
|7:30 am||Registration and Light Breakfast|
|8:15 am||Meditation Practice|
|9 am||Pranayama Practice|
|9:30 am||Yogic Movement Assessment|
|10:30 am||Yogic Movement Assessment Continued/ Yogic Postures|
|12:30 pm||Yogic Postures Continued|
|3:30 pm||Case Studies and Questions|
- Laura Covill, PT, DPT, OCS, PYT
Associate Professor, Doctor of Physical Therapy Program, Des Moines University
- Kathryn Cardamon, MPT, CMTPT, CLT, PYT-c
Physical Therapist, Physical Therapy Clinic, Des Moines University
Continuing Education Credit
- MD: This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Iowa Medical Society (IMS). Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the IMS to provide continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this live activity for 14.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
- DO: Des Moines University (DMU) is accredited by the American Osteopathic Association (AOA) to provide osteopathic continuing medical education for physicians. DMU designates this program for a maximum of 14.0 AOA Category 1-A credits and will report CME and specialty credits commensurate with the extent of the physician’s participation in this activity.
- Nurses: Des Moines University continuing education is Iowa Board of Nursing approved provider #112. This live activity has been reviewed and approved for 14.0 continuing education contact hour(s). No partial credit awarded.
- Other health providers: This live activity is designated for 14.0 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™.
No commercial interest provided financial support for this continuing education activity.
- 14.00 AOA Category 1A
- 14.00 AMA PRA Category 1 Credits™
- 14.00 IBON
- 14.00 CE Contact Hours