Update on Health Care Reform
The Affordable Care Act was signed by President Obama on March 23, 2010. This Act has been controversial from its infancy, and was created to provide affordable health care in the United States. This Act is important to understand in regards to future health care needs for all Americans. The Update on Health Care Reform program will allow more insight from an elite expert panel that will educate and inform the audience about this issue.
Des Moines University and Drake University faculty, staff and students are invited. Attendees will be exposed to an elite set of healthcare professionals assisting with the decision making of health care and public health policy. Their insight and knowledge will assist the attendees of the program to be equipped with accurate information to make better informed decisions in regards to health care reform and their lives.
- Recognize how health care reform affects various aspects of public health in Iowa and the United States.
- Identify how health care reform fosters health promotion and prevention.
- Recognize how health care reform impacts public health infrastructure and the future roles of the public health workforce.
- Identify how health care reform impacts the legal and regulatory roles of public health.
- Discuss the impact of health care reform in public health which allows for better visualization in future public health endeavors.
Carla Stebbins, PhD, Director of DMU’s Healthcare Administration Program
|5:30 pm||What are the Public Health Effects at the State and Local Level of Federal and State|
Health Care Reform?
Jack Hatch, Iowa Senate
|5:45 pm||How Does Health Care Reform Foster Health Promotion and Prevention?|
Mary Mincer Hansen, PhD, RN, Director of DMU’s Public Health Program
|6 pm||How Does the Health Care Reform Impact Public Health Infrastructure and the Future|
Roles of the Public Health Workforce?
Anne Kinzel, MA, JD, Commission Coordinator, Iowa Legislative Health Care
|6:15 pm||How Does Health Care Reform Impact the Legal/Regulatory Role of Public Health?|
Eric Nemmers, MHA, JD, DMU Guest Lecturer
|6:30 pm||Question and Answer Session|
- 1.50 AOA Category 1B
- 1.80 IBON
- 1.50 CE Contact Hour(s)